The DOG himself

The DOG himself
WELCOME to the HOME of all things TEAM NATE DOG! Here's a place we created to help keep you all updated on the progress of our little Nate Dog! As many of you know, Nate entered the hospital the day before Mother's Day of 2008 with severe bacterial meningitis. He suffered numerous strokes and many seizures which have resulted in significant brain damage. Since coming home, he has made remarkable progress and does day in and day out. We are very proud of our little fighter and here's a place we can ramble and ramble on and on (and on) about things to keep us motivated and of course updates on the DOG himself! Hope you enjoy, and we do LOVE feedback! Guest book is at the bottom of the page!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Beauty is inspirational... so is determination.

As said in the title...
Beauty is inspirational... so is determination.
To those who know "beauty"-- however it is that you think of it-- you know what it is to look at something so beautiful, so exquisite (sp?), so unreal in it's significance that you can't help but stare.
But what about those of us who pass it by?
What about those of us who forget to look for it?
How bout those of us who even take it for granted?
I have a friend... who has a blog.  She has written of our family and our situation before.  I will be anominous in this post as to who this family is, although if they read this they will know EXACTLY who they are.  These are people, who I consider GREAT friends.  The woman especially, but the entire family brings a light into this world that is absolutely blinding. 
 Here's their story.
They have a daughter, let's call her Cass  (for Pete's sake, I'm trying!).  Anyway, after they have her, they decide to have another addition.  Problems occur.  Fertility issues.  No explaination.  Doctors, testing, procedures.... nothing.
They decide to adopt.
Internationally.
Not long into the adoption process, not long before the scheduled trip to meet their new little one, they discover they are pregnant. 
This, by the way, is during and shortly after the birth of Emi (7yrs. old). 
This, by the way, is in the wake of 9/11.
In 2002, the news comes that they are expecting as well as in the process of adoption.  Typical story as I've come to understand.  They are to go greet their A-girl (as this friend puts it) in Nov. or Dec. of '02.  They are due with the unexpected little one in Feb. '03.  Dad goes to get little Miss A.  During the trip, Mom delivers a still born little boy. 
Wow.
Is that enough to break your heart?  Can you imagine the anticipation of greeting the child you've longed for at the EXACT same time you're grieving another child you've longed for?  I'm sure some can, but I digress.
Moving on....
Then in April of '03, Mom discovers that miraculously (lighting striking) that she's over 3 mos. pregnant.
Jeez...  Can you say Whiplash?
She delivers a healthy baby boy in Oct. '03.  So, their "little" family grew from 3 to 5 in less than a year. 
They decided they could give even more to another child.  Along comes another beautiful, adoptive daughter-- Miss J, less than one year younger than her big brother. (Maybe even less than I can remember)
You'd think they're set, they're done, they're busy enough....
NOOOOOOO!
Mom surfs around on familiar website for international adoption.  She find this little boy, who is on the "special needs" list.  Only because of a cleft palette, that's been worked on.  She see's beauty in him and she can't bear to "close" him off the screen.  Dad comes home and sees him and pretty much feels the same way.
Here comes #5!
Little C-Man joins the crew.
This family graces my life with their very being.  Every one of these children hug me when they see me.  Every one of this family lights up my day when I see them.  And I cannot even tell this story without telling you that every one of this family has given me something...  whether it's a picture they've drawn, brighter days when they smile, advice when it's needed most, inspiration when things seem their worst... the list could go on.
My point with this blog, is that no matter what YOU find beautiful in life... nothing compares to family.
Those amazing children whom this family took home ARE beautiful.  That little C-man, who was on the "special needs" list was so beautiful that his meant-to-be Mommy could not turn away.  Even when others would because he wasn't "PERFECT".
The aspiration this family had to keep going and build a family after tragedy struck and despair reared it's ugly head, is inspirational at it's least.
I have met many people in my life who struggle with infertility, some of those are dear friends.  But that in NO way means that you can't have a BEAUTIFUL family!  We all will get to the same place in the end... some of us just may take a different road.. the "Road Less Traveled".
My experiences in life are, by no means, UNTRAVELED.  But they are "Less Traveled". 
 I try each day to see the beauty in my life.
I strive to be a better mother, wife and person mainly because of stories like I've told in this post.  I want what I do to be important, not only to my own life but to those around me.  I'm inspired by these stories of overcoming the odds.  I'm inspired to help build the next generation, regardless of how it's achieved.
I look at struggles other have overcome and the blinding light that can shine through all that.
Everyone of us can make a difference, can make a life better, can leave a foot-print in the sand.... all if we think we are worth it.
As a mother, I spend most of my life doing things for others.  Not only in my "motherly" life, but also in my career.  I am always doing things to make OTHERS happy.  But the truth behind that, is that IS my life.  That's who I am.  So, because of these people I know who have struggled with situations I have not, I am determined to make the best of mine.  Craig will I'm sure be part of that with me. 
Sometimes when things look desperate or depressive, I would like to think that God has given me a different path to follow on my way to heaven.
Doesn't matter how I get there.... just that I do.
Love to you all!!!
-Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. Sue and I leave for China April 1 for our special little girl. Tony & Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story with a great message! It's always good to hear stories like this to remind us all what we have in our daily lives!

    Thanks for the reminder!!! :)
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, your life is beautiful, thank you for the reminder of how fantastic our lives are and have the potential to be! We love you!!!! Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your well wishes, prayers and constant support! You're comments mean so much to us!

Check out the Video...

About 30 seconds into the video (on the right), is the news story about our special day at MAM! Thank you all for being a part of such a wonderful event!

SWEAT SHIRT HOODIES!!!!! COME AND GET 'EM!

SWEATSHIRTS ARE ON SALE!!!!!!!!!
Grey hoodies, "TEAM NATE DOG" on front with our pawprint logo and
"Miracles seldom occur for those who do not believe them to be possible"
on back. The new price is $30.00. E-mail Crazy Aunt Carrie today for your order! erinpowell1@alltel.net.
ALSO:
We still have TONS of childrens and adult small shirts from the fundraiser that are on sale for $10.00, the are AWESOME, get them for your kids, they will love them, and of course you will be supporting the foundation as well! KEEP ROCKIN' TEAM, we need your support, we are making miracles happen because of YOU!!!!!
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online